Saturday, April 17, 2010

hello? i forgot my mantra.

I'm back! The trip was absolutely incredible of course, and I'm pretty certain that it irrevocably changed the trajectory of my life and work in the future. However, I don't think this blog is the best place to yammer about all the amazing experiences we had; that's another story for another time.

I must have stored up some good karma down there, though, because nearly as soon as I got home I found an amazing designer to fall in love with! (I am painfully aware about how shallow that sounds, especially after going on a 2-week-long service trip; I just think that this blog should stay focused on what I originally intended it for. If you would like to hear more about the trip, please leave a comment!)

But back to Rachel Comey. She makes pretty, quirky separates and chunky, sort of masculine shoes that remind me of a mix between Annie Hall, Zooey Deschanel's wardrobe in 500 Days of Summer, Prada-circa-the-early-2000's, and the 1970's. Which is to say, the best.mix.ever.
These are the kind of easy, happy clothes I can see myself in on a day-to-day basis. They're not the most fanciful or overwrought pieces of design on the market - they're just simple, whimsical things that are easy to live in.

For instance, this is actually a skort:
Practical, no? I love shorter lengths, but I'm forever having to tug them down in one spot or another to preserve my virtuous reputation. This would make me fearless!

These are just super flattering, like inverse dolphin shorts. But much more beautiful:
Anyone who knows me knows that I collect/adore vintage grandpa sweaters. This would fit right in with my growing menagerie:
The print on this blouse is a little, winking, long-lashed eye. Can't you just see it with some tight black skinny jeans and black Miu Miu Banana flats? It's the simplicity of leggings-and-a-sweatshirt without all the connotations that are attached to leggings-and-a-sweatshirt.
And the shoes! Rachel totally called the clog thing. They're just manly enough to make them the perfect anchor for all the fluttery little spring dresses I can't get out of my head lately. I might have to dust off my debit card for the first pair...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. I thrive on constructive criticism.