Sunday, February 21, 2010

epiphanizing.

Books play an indelibly large role in my life. My perspective has been changed several times by books I've read; Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes, Love in the Time of Cholera, Looking for Alaska, Jitterbug Perfume, The Poisonwood Bible, Harry Potter...the list of tomes that have affected my life in an appreciable way goes on and on. However, as melodramatic as it may sound, I have just read two books that I believe have changed the course of my future forever.
Reading this:


and subsequently this:
has had a powerful effect on me. Reading these books:
1. strengthened my already powerful desire to travel to Northern Pakistan and its surrounding regions tenfold
2. made me realize that I do not want or need a stereotypical, fiscally "successful" job to make me happy in the future, and
3. made me want to dedicate my life to something that I already know gives me the biggest feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment: helping others.

To me, Greg Mortenson (read the books and you will learn all about this personal hero of mine) is living, breathing proof that karma not only exists, but also plays an appreciable role in the universe. Everything fell into place for him as he dedicated his life to an indisputably noble cause. Of course there were setbacks, speedbumps, and roadblocks - but his perseverance through these obstacles is what I believe made him worthy of the good fortune that has befallen him.
If you're looking for some inspiration, or even just a reason to like your life a little bit more, pick up these books and prepare to have your world rocked.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. I thrive on constructive criticism.