Tuesday, February 9, 2010

hippydippy

No matter how much I vacillate between wanting to be a tough, chic Parisienne, a devil-may-care grunge chick, and a quirky vintage queen, the one persona I always end up falling back on is the hippie. This term needs to be taken with a grain of salt - I'm not even sure if it's the one I want to use - for I would never dream of comparing myself to the controversial men and women in the 60's and 70's who stood up for their beliefs and started a social revolution. Nor do I want to be characterized as the girl who slaps a headband across her forehead, wears a floral blouse, and calls her outfit "hippie chic".

I find myself gravitating more to this moniker because it seems to best describe the life I aspire to lead (I'm afraid this is turning into another gratuitous, self-involved post, oh well). I love the outdoors, I do yoga, and I hang Tibetan prayer flags on any available surface (and not for show). I'm an obsessive recycler/composter/conservationist. I'm a vegetarian. I disapprove and actively try to counteract our avaricious, consumer-driven society. Am I, therefore, a "hippie"? And if so, is this a good thing? I certainly hope so, because that's who I am. Style-wise, I tend to have a propensity for clothes that translate my philosophies into something tangible...even if it's not at the pinnacle of high fashion. These pictures I've collected reflect visually what I feel internally most of the time:











photos from bluebird vintage and smokeandsassafrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. I thrive on constructive criticism.