Friday, June 18, 2010

dot.dot.dot.

I can't fall asleep tonight, or should I say this morning? In any case, here are some of my favorite Resort 2011 collections - I feel like Resort was really stepped up this year in terms of the quality of the collections. Maybe because it's a legitimate season now?
First up, Cynthia Rowley:

This collection is totally my speed. I love weird ugly sweaters. The length of the dresses feels really fresh, but still totally summery because of the light fabric. Heels + socks forever. And although I couldn't even fit my cell phone into those tiny little purses, I still want one. This whole situation is just counterintuitively sexy.

Celine:

If I were a tall, sassy Italian, I would wear Celine Resort 2011. I've never liked chokers, but I love this futuristic metal dog collar high fashion neck brace - it compliments the belt so unexpectedly well. And the chic racing stripes are just perfect.

The Row:


This collection is so weird and wonderful...it manages to be beautiful without possessing a single shred of prettiness. The pieces remind me of really awesome thrift store finds - a little off-kilter and very personal. I can see a certain type of girl wearing these clothes and really making them her own. MK and A really know what's up, and I admire them for not churning out safe, trend-following minidresses and YSL Tribute-knockoffs. But really, what could be expected of the Olsens besides total fabulousness?

Missoni:

Missoni gets me every time. I just love their prints! I really like the aesthetic for this collection, too...it's sort of Masai-warrior Mod? I really don't want to use the words "tribal" or "ethnic" to describe this trend - to me, those terms just radiate exoticization and stereotyping. They blend the hundreds of different cultures that inspired the designs into a big pool of foreignness, and help widen the already huge chasm between "us" as Westerners, and "them". To me, this collection just seems eclectic. The print on the first dress is blinding, but I could still see someone like Twiggy wearing it in the 1960's. Also, I need the shoes.

Proenza Schouler:


Jack and Lazaro totally delivered, as per usual. I love the asymmetry that became a common theme throughout the collection, how beautiful is that first jacket? Once again, my obsession with button-down shirts is gratified - they really do layer them under everything. The Navajo-ish prints are pretty perfect (the only piece I didn't like was the quasi-drug rug that was the third or fourth look, I think. What?) The shoes were a little Demeulemeester, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Very autumnal and mellow. Love.

Roksanda Ilincic:
I've never heard of Roksanda before, but I loved her resort pieces! The maribou trim popped up everywhere, it's so pretty and feminine, and the way she mixed this sunny yellow with navy blue sort of hinted at nautical inspiration without resorting to sailor stripes and anchors and little white hats. So cute!

Unless something dramatic and groundbreaking happens in the next few days, this is probably my last post about Resort 2011...it was a good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. I thrive on constructive criticism.